Project Portfolio Management
Attendees: Project, program and portfolio managers, managers of PMOs
Duration: 2 days (16 hours)
THE COURSE SUMMARY:
- What is a “Portfolio” and how does it differ from a “Program”?
- What different types of Programs may exist in an organization?
- How do “Projects” come to be grouped together in Programs or Portfolios?
- How do Portfolios, Programs and Projects fit together within an organization?
- How does the “best practice” view compare to your own organization’s understanding of the definitions and the interrelationships?
BUILDING A PORTFOLIO:
- Identifying and analyzing Portfolios and Programs of Projects within your own organization
- Selecting the “best projects” for inclusion in a portfolio or program
- Commonly used project selection tools and approaches
- Some less familiar means of determining project selection
- Portfolio authorization and prioritization of Programs and Projects within a Portfolio
- Establishing Portfolio Governance
- Critical Success Factors for successful Portfolio Management
REVIEW OF DIFFERENT PMO MODELS:
- From “Project Office” to “Centre of Excellence”.
- The PMO as a “value-added” function.
- What model is the PMO in your organization?
THE STRATEGIC PMO:
- Creating an action plan for the development of Strategically-driven Portfolio Management in your organization
- Gathering the initial portfolio information
- Defining the goals, resources and assets for portfolio
- Linking projects; goals, resources and assets
- Defining the organization’s strategic resources
- Prioritizing projects according to your defined acceptance criteria
- Examining portfolio balance
- The Role of Software Tools for Project Portfolio Management